Thursday, June 17, 2010

Responsible breeders lend me your... pedigrees?

Cleoppa had an interesting question regarding tail-female breeding .. and pedigrees. It made me think about the various issues we as breeders face when we chose who to breed our dogs to.



Tell me what you think about and why you would or wouldn%26#039;t do..



Inbreeding



Linebreeding



Outcrossing



Breeding for Phenotype



Breeding for Genotype



Responsible breeders lend me your... pedigrees?bank loan





Only people who breed competently would even know what you are talking about.



Yes it brings up a good point.



All 5 are used by competent breeders. There are specifics %26amp; good reasons to use each one.



This is what BYBers %26amp; Puppy Mills don%26#039;t take into consideration when breeding. They either don%26#039;t know the differences or don%26#039;t give a damn.



Genetics !



Responsible breeders lend me your... pedigrees?

loan



I don%26#039;t know what any of that means (besides inbreeding), but that%26#039;s why I alter my pets and leave the breeding to those far more educated then myself.



I%26#039;ve been working with shelter animals since I was a little girl and I wish others could see the number of great dogs I%26#039;ve seen put to sleep for no real reason besides the fact that there were too many of them:



then maybe all the rest of the uneducated boobs like me would alter their pets too!|||I have never inbred but I won%26#039;t say that I never would.



I line breed all the time.



Haven%26#039;t totally outcrossed but you had to go back a very long ways to find the relatives in common (6-7 generations)



I have done a breeding for Phenotype.



Have not done a Genotype breeding, .... yet.|||I%26#039;ve never bred... but I%26#039;ll answer anyway. I want to breed one day and as apparent from my previous question, I%26#039;m very interested in breeding theory.



When I start breeding, I won%26#039;t inbreed for many years. I want to get a solid feel for my dogs, my breed, the pedigree and experience breeding before attempting this.



I%26#039;d probably do a bit of linebreeding. I%26#039;d research dogs and pedigrees and find a dog or two that I really like.



Outcrossing is good. I think I%26#039;d really want to develop my own line. I know this isn%26#039;t as easy these days since most responsible breeders don%26#039;t breed too much.



Hmmm... haven%26#039;t heard too much discussion about phenotype vs. genotype, but it seems to me that that%26#039;s the characteristic of a great breeder versus a byb or a even a good breeder.



It%26#039;s not too difficult to look at a dog and see what other dog would go well with him. (I don%26#039;t think, anyway.) Where the real search comes is in genotype where you really have to research and figure out what kind of pups your dog and his ancestors and siblings and relatives are throwing so you know their genotype.



ADD: As I said, right now I%26#039;ve just done a lot of research and no practical experience. I noticed gringo4541 said she bred for phenotype not genotype. Definitely not trying to call you or anyone a byb! (From the little I%26#039;ve heard from you, I think you%26#039;re a great breeder!) If I%26#039;m wrong in my assessment, please correct me! I love learning about breeding. Please don%26#039;t take it as an insult. This is what I%26#039;ve gathered from my research.



ADD: Thanks animal_artwork. I know what genotype and phenotype is, but I%26#039;d never heard it explained in terms of breeding theory.|||I don%26#039;t breed just for phenotype, I know several breeders that chose stud dogs just on phenotype. Genotype is just as important to me, since it%26#039;s based on the gene pool itself. I don%26#039;t use inbreeding at all, since it increases undesirable genes. I do use linebreeding to slowly introduce new genes %26amp; slowly replace the unwanted ones. The downfall for me is I only have 1 to 2 litters a year (I only have 3 breeding females) %26amp; it can takes years to get rid of %26amp; add genes. Outcrossing can be great, I do this as well. I choose a stud dog that will correct my females faults. My problem with outcrossed litters is they don%26#039;t reliably reproduce themselves. So even a CH female or male, may not produce the best puppies.|||I%26#039;ve only heard of the first three, as I choose to spay and neuter all companion animals I have and will ever have (except for animals like frogs or fish, as I%26#039;m not sure if that%26#039;s even possible); I choose to leave breeding to the caring, responsible breeders not in breeding for the profit, but for the benefit of the breed.



I%26#039;ve read some rottweiler and golden retriever books, plus some of other breeds from the same series, and all discuss breeding and ways to breed. I only recall the first three.



If I were a reputable breeder, I would use inbreeding but very occasionally, like with a brother and sister who were repetitive champs and I wanted to fix their genetics into some pups. I would not use it often as it sometimes results in deformed pups.



Linebreeding--I think this is an excellent way, as it matches up on genetics but is not as risky as inbreeding. However, after several generations the bloodline can get quite inbred.



Outcrossing--this would be what I used an awful lot. I think it is an excellent way to correct faults in bitches with the sire, though the sire would also bring in some faults to the bloodline. However, it very rarely produces deformed pups.



However, since I don%26#039;t think I%26#039;d be a very dedicated breeder and wouldn%26#039;t be patient enough to produce good, sound pups, I think I%26#039;ll spay and neuter my pets for now and leave breeding to the professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive